Los Angeles based
$55,000 - $80,000 a year
Position Open Until Filled
The Alliance of Californians for Community Empowerment (ACCE Institute – www.acceinstitute.org) is seeking a Communications Lead
About the Position:
ACCE is looking for a highly motivated, creative and digital savvy Communications Lead to help drive ACCE’s mission, values and campaigns! Reporting to the Communications Director, the Communications Lead is broadly responsible for helping set and implement a strategy to consistently articulate ACCE’s mission, vision, values, and campaign demands in our communications, website, and public relations messages and materials. The Communications Lead will work to ensure that ACCE is seen as a democratic progressive organizing space focused on centering the voices of deeply impacted community members as well as a trusted and informed source of information and ideas. The Communications Lead will work closely with Office and Department Directors as a communications partner on local and statewide efforts.
About ACCE Institute:
ACCE Institute is a POC-led organization with a powerful multi-racial team, made stronger by our ability to collaborate and leverage our diversity across gender, age, upbringing, education, talent, and life experience. We are committed to high standards, high impact, and working with deep respect for one another, our members, and our partners.
At ACCE, we work with over 15,000 members across six counties to create transformative change by helping ordinary citizens to organize and take action. Some of ACCE’s priority program areas include:
- Fully funding vital services by reforming California’s broken fiscal system
- Giving our children the opportunity to succeed through sound education reform
- Safe and affordable housing for ALL Californians
- Guaranteeing quality health care no matter your status or health history
Employees at ACCE Institute have a fire for building the grassroots power needed to create structural change that will result in true liberation and justice for all. If you believe in social, economic, and racial justice, and community organizing from the ground up, you may be a good fit with ACCE.
Position Location: This position will be based out Los Angeles, CA.
The candidate will report to ACCE’s Communications Director and will be responsible for the following:
- Work with the Communications Director to develop, implement, and evaluate communications plans across the organization
- Help lead in the generation of digital content that engages members/allies/stakeholders and moves them into action including social media on facebook, twitter and instagram, mass emails, mass texting, online petitions and action pages, videos, and online graphics.
- Support management of the development, distribution, and maintenance of organization materials, social media pages, and websites
- Support organizer trainings to facilitate in the contemporaneous documentation and sharing of organization activities/campaigns
- Create or assist in the creation of press advisories and execute press relations for organizational actions and events
- Develop and maintain relationships with key media contacts including reporters, editorial boards, and show producers
- Compile and help maintain up to date media lists
- Ensure legal and ethical compliance on all ACCE materials and sites/pages
- Minimum 2 years experience doing communications work required
- Understanding of community organizing models, campaign strategies and tactics
- Commitment to racial, economic, and social justice work
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of best practices for messaging and narrative development on economic and racial justice issues
- Experience driving press relations - writing press advisories, pitching press, maintaining relations with reporters, running press conferences, and broadly driving earned media
- Experience maintaining web pages, social media sites and writing mass emails and texts
- Ability to work effectively in a fast paced environment with shifting priorities and deadlines
- Ability to speak and write fluently in Spanish
- Skill and experience in using Nationbuilder or similar CRMs
- Knowledge of ladder of engagement and list segmentation best practices
- Familiarity with graphic design principles for campaigning and online engagement
- Experience making or editing videos
- Experience using texting platforms like Hustle or Strive
- Experience running online ad campaigns (including facebook and google ads)
- Experience with online fundraising (through emails and social media)
- Experience in the issue areas of housing justice and tax equity
Compensation and Benefits:
- Compensation - Lead Level positions at ACCE range between $55 - 80,000 depending on qualifications and years of experience.
- FSA – Tax free accounts to offset childcare, transportation, and medical costs.
- 401K Plan – ACCE contributes 3% of employee salary (regardless of employee contribution) to help save for retirement.
- Life Insurance – To protect you and your family in case of tragedy.
- Generous PTO – 1-4 weeks of vacation (seniority based), 3 discretionary days, 9 accrued sick days, and 13 holidays each year.
- Paid Parental Leave – New parents get this time to spend bonding with their new child/children. Up to 12 weeks if you've been here a year or more.
- Sabbatical – After 5 years employment, take up to 3 months (on us!) to recharge and pursue personal projects.
- Comprehensive Health Insurance – Full coverage of employee health and dental benefits, access to a quality vision plan, and generous family coverage.
How to apply
Please send an email to Anya Svanoe at [email protected] and cc: [email protected]. Your email should include a cover letter, resume, and 3 references (including at least one for a current or former supervisor)
ACCE is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color, women, individuals with disabilities and members of the LGBTQ community.