Oakland, Richmond or Sacramento, CA
$20 - 25 per hour based on experience
Part-time Permanent - 25 hours a week average
Position Open Until Filled
ACCE Communications Associate - Permanent Part Time
About the Position:
ACCE is looking for a highly motivated, creative and digital savvy Communications Associate to help drive ACCE’s mission, values and campaigns! Reporting to the Communications Director, the Communications Associate is broadly responsible for a strategy to consistently articulate ACCE’s mission, vision, values, and campaign demands in our communications, website, and public relations messages and materials in both English and in Spanish. The Communications Associate will work to implement ACCE's language justice strategy, to help in making ACCE's online communications more bilingual and to ensure that ACCE is understood as a democratic progressive organizing space focused on centering the voices of deeply impacted community members. The Communications Associate will work closely with Office and Department Directors as a communications partner on local and statewide efforts - particularly for the northern California offices of Oakland, Richmond and Sacramento.
About ACCE Institute:
ACCE Institute is a POC-led organization with a powerful multi-racial team, made stronger by our ability to collaborate and leverage our diversity across gender, age, upbringing, education, talent, and life experience. We are committed to high standards, high impact, and working with deep respect for one another, our members, and our partners.
At ACCE, we work with over 15,000 members across six counties to create transformative change by helping ordinary citizens to organize and take action. Some of ACCE’s priority program areas include:
- Fully funding vital services by reforming California’s broken fiscal system
- Giving our children the opportunity to succeed through sound education reform
- Safe and affordable housing for ALL Californians
- Guaranteeing quality health care no matter your status or health history
Employees at ACCE Institute have a fire for building the grassroots power needed to create structural change that will result in true liberation and justice for all. If you believe in social, economic, and racial justice, and community organizing from the ground up, you may be a good fit with ACCE.
Position Location: This position must be based out of Oakland, Richmond or Sacramento. The position is permanent part-time, working primarily 25 hours per week, with some weeks increasing to 30 hours per week as needed.
The candidate will report to ACCE’s Communications Director and will be responsible for the following:
- Work with the Communications Director to support the implementation, and evaluation of communications plans for Northern California offices, and state campaigns: including supporting the development, distribution, and maintenance of organizational materials, social media pages, and websites
- Help lead in the generation of digital content that engages members/allies/stakeholders and moves them into action including social media on facebook, twitter and instagram, mass emails, mass texting, online petitions and action pages, videos, and online graphics
- Lead in the generation of culturally competent Spanish-language social media and translation of various social media posts from English to Spanish
- Spanish to English interpretation support at organizer & member communication trainings as needed
- Support in the development of Spanish speaking members as spokespeople for the organization
- Create or assist in the creation of press advisories and execute press relations for organizational actions and events
- Field press requests, help find members to interview, coordinate interviews and prep members in advance
- Develop and maintain relationships with key media contacts including reporters, editorial boards, and show producers - particularly Spanish media in Northern California
- Compile and help maintain up to date media lists
- Ability to speak and write fluently in Spanish
- Minimum 1 year experience doing communications work - doing social media, working with media, helping implement a communications strategy within a campaign, etc.
- Commitment to racial, economic, and social justice work
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work effectively in a fast paced environment with shifting priorities and deadlines
- Understanding of community organizing models, campaign strategies and tactics
- Knowledge of best practices for messaging and narrative development on economic and racial justice issues
- Experience driving press relations - writing press advisories, pitching press, maintaining relationships with reporters, running press conferences, & broadly driving earned media
- Experience maintaining web pages, social media sites and writing mass emails and texts
- Skill and experience in using Nationbuilder or similar CRMs
- Knowledge of ladder of engagement and list segmentation best practices
- Experience with graphic design and knowledge of Canva
- Experience making or editing videos
- Experience using texting platforms like Hustle or Strive
- Experience running online ad campaigns (including facebook and google ads)
- Experience with online fundraising (through emails and social media)
- Experience in the issue areas of housing justice and tax equity
- Compensation - Entry level positions at ACCE range between $20-25/hour depending on qualifications and years of experience. Part time positions do not qualify for benefits.
- Paid Sick Time: Sick leave is accrued at the rate of 1 hour for every 30 hours worked - capped 9 days per year.
- Holidays: There are 12 ACCE paid holidays within a given year.
- Vacation: In the first year of employment, employees qualify for one week of vacation. After the first year employees are eligible for two weeks paid vacation.
- Civic Engagement Discretionary: All permanent employees are eligible for 3 days of Civic Engagement Discretionary time per year. This time can be used for the following civic activities: time off to work the polls, time off to work on any political campaign of the employee’s choosing, reporting for jury duty or to serve as a witness in a trial, time off to participate in other forms of civic engagement.
How to Apply: Please send an email to Anya Svanoe at [email protected] and cc: [email protected] Your email should include 2 writing samples, a resume, and 3 references (including at least one for a current or former supervisor).
ACCE is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color, women, individuals with disabilities and members of the LGBTQ community.