Sacramento Field Organizer
ACCE is a multi-issue, membership-based community organization building the power and voice of people of color and poor and working families across the state of California. With offices in 6 cities, ACCE works in local communities and statewide to fight for economic, racial, and social justice. ACCE’s grassroots approach prioritizes training and empowering community residents to wage effective bottom-up campaigns with a heavy emphasis on direct community action, corporate accountability, and structural reforms.
About the Position
We seek a field organizer with a passion for working with marginalized residents and low-income communities of color to organize, build their power, and wage campaigns to bring about policy changes and investment that improve their standard of living and/or quality of life. We are looking for someone who understands the necessity of prioritizing poor and working families. The position requires the ability to work some evening hours and weekends – the typical work schedule starts mid-day and goes into the evening. We provide paid training; experience is a plus but not necessary.
- Build a large base of residents in low income communities of color who want to organize to improve their communities through door-to-door and phone outreach.
- Develop an ever-growing number of grassroots leaders who take ownership of the group and do work to lead it forward
- Work with the members and leaders of this group to carry out local campaigns and engage in citywide and statewide campaigns
- Responsible for meeting expectations and goals – including recruiting new members, collecting membership dues, reporting and evaluation, leadership development, meeting, and learning the ACCE model of organizing and approach to leadership development.
- Must be bilingual in English and Spanish
- Self-motivated - proven ability to take initiative, work independently, and overcome obstacles
- Belief in organizing for power and commitment to social justice.
- Sound interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to establish and cultivate respectful relationships with people from diverse backgrounds;
- Ability to work flexible hours;
- Must be able to engage in community outreach through door knocking for 4-hours per day
- Organizational skills to manage and prioritize work and meet deadlines
- Ability to work in a dynamic and changing environment, as an individual and as a member of a team.
- Deep understanding of issues facing communities of color, and low-and moderate-income families;
- Experience working with similar membership-based community organizations (or unions)
- Skilled at one-to-one organizing, successful experience at mass turnout, and/or experience with grassroots fundraising.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, databases and Internet.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) and/or experience working in multi-lingual environments
- Valid driver’s license and access to a dependable vehicle (mileage reimbursed)
ACCE uses a fixed salary skill based on responsibility and years of experience. Salary for this position begins at 18.31/hour or approx. $40,946 annually. ACCE offers a generous benefits package to all full-time employees.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and 3 references including at least one former supervisor to Sacramento@calorganize.org
ACCE is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color, women, individuals with disabilities and members of the LGBTQ community.