Request for Proposal
Strategic Direction Planning Project
Background & Goals
ACCE is a family of community-based organizations founded in 2010 with the goal of building power for California’s most vulnerable and marginalized populations. Through grassroots base building, leadership development, issue campaigning, and strategic communications, ACCE builds community power that can be leveraged to win for communities, shift hearts and minds, dismantle structures of oppression and inequality, and create new structures that promote equity, inclusion, strong public services, and truly democratic representation. We have 5 offices throughout the state located in San Diego, Los Angeles, Oakland, Richmond, and Sacramento and through those offices educate and activate over 15,000 member families, a base that grows each month.
ACCE is seeking the services of an Organizational Development consultant to carry out a strategic direction process with our staff and community leaders that will increase the effectiveness of our base building work, sharpen our organizational direction for the next decade of work, and align our fundraising strategies and staff/chapter structures to match our new organizational imperatives. The contract will be given to a responsive and responsible consultant who
- respects our organizational values, culture, and mission
- is able to help us identify areas of growth and draw out our best thinking and ideas to address those areas
- will facilitate explorations of potential new tactics to reach our powerbuilding and organizational goals
- will help us make decisions based on priority and capacity
The selected consultant will be expected to produce a (set of) final product(s) that will guide our work after the engagement.
Tasks include but may not be limited to the following:
- Interviews with ACCE staff, member leaders and boards of directors
- Planning meetings to prepare for small or large group meetings
- In person meetings with staff, members, and boards to develop plans, test proposals, and come to agreements
- If requested, helping connect ACCE with other organizations or practitioners to better understand potential tactical shifts in our organizing model
- Assistance with scheduling meetings
- Capturing notes and synthesizing results from meetings and interviews
- Developing tools/visuals that capture our decisions and help guide our work moving
While price is a significant factor, other criteria will form the basis of our award decision, as more fully described in the Evaluation Factors section of this Request for Proposal below.
Submission Guidelines & Requirements
The RFP will be posted on our website acceinstitute.org, and can be downloaded from there beginning 11 a.m. on August 6, 2019.
Responses must be received no later than August 21, 2019. Responses should be clearly marked “RFP-ACCE Strategic Direction Planning Project” and emailed to Christina Livingston at email@example.com.
Elements of Proposal
A submission must, at a minimum, include the following elements:
- Description of consultant’s mission, expertise, and experience. If the consultant works as part of a team or organization please include a general overview of the team/organization, as well as names and credentials of other key partners who would engage in the project.
A narrative (no more than 3 pages) that
- Outlines the consultants’ general approach to helping organizations undergo strategic direction processes
- Proposes a strategic direction process with goals and milestones and a timeline
- Lists considerations that could affect the proposed process
- A budget for costs connected to the proposed process
- 3 professional references from past clients with whom you have completed similar projects
RFP & Project Timelines
The Request for Proposal timeline is as follows:
Request for Proposal Issuance
Deadline for Proposal Submission
Selection of Top Bidders / Notification to Unsuccessful Bidders
Start of Negotiation
Contract Award / Notification to Unsuccessful Bidders
ACCE does not wish to make the project any longer or shorter than needed to complete the goals of the project, however we hope to finish the project within six to eight months. The ideal-date for project completion is March 2020. Bidders may propose a date earlier or later, and will be evaluated accordingly.
ACCE’s budget for the project is $25,000.00. Pay will be based on billable hours
The successful respondent will:
- Have at least 5 years of organizational development consulting in the non-profit sector
- Demonstrate a proficiency in/plan for communicating with mono-lingual spanish-speaking project participants
- Propose a planning process that is thorough yet efficient
- Have solid references that can demonstrate success in similar engagements
- Offer a reasonable cost of services
ACCE reserves the right to award to the bidder that presents the best value to ACCE as determined solely by ACCE in its absolute discretion.